Thursday, June 12, 2008

World Traveling

I haven't updated much on graduation because its a very difficult thing for me to write about. There are so many emotions that go into one thing, and I don't know where to start. I'm very thankful for my experiences and my friends, and I hope that I will be able to meet the world confidently with the help of what I have learned there.

On to subjects I can discuss coherently... I've seen a few good movies recently. I saw the new Indiana Jones, Iron Man, Letters from Iwo Jima, and Charlie Wilson's War. Indiana Jones was good because of Harrison Ford, but otherwise was a bit far-fetched. I rather enjoyed Iron Man, as well; I found it to be much more entertaining than many of the other recent superhero films. The only way it could've been better was if Samuel L. Jackson's cameo included his Incredibles line: "Woman! Where is my super suit?!" Letters from Iwo Jima was very powerful; sympathizing with the enemy is not really my cup of tea, but it was a very good movie. Charlie Wilson's War was just hilarious; I highly reccomend it. Once you get past the boorishness of his character (that is, if it's a problem in the first place), it's a really great movie.

I finally broke down and read The Da Vinci Code. It was alright. In my opinion, it was like a more far-fetched, international and religious version of National Treasure. The fact that he changed fact was a little unsettling to me, but made me understand more why people were so easily confused regarding some of the stuff. My personal favorite is the idea that Jesus Christ was barely voted in as divine at the Council of Nicaea. In reality, the vote was somewhere around 317-3. As for the general story, I thought that it had a pretty good pace and was good with the suspense parts. Still bogus, but alright if you read it as such. Now I have to work on my justification for being able to love His Darkest Materials (the series including the Golden Compass), whose author explicitly said that he intentionally was killing God in those books....

The final news is that I'm leaving for France. I will try to get my pictures up here as soon as possible, but you never can tell when you're going to get internet access abroad. Talk to you when I return!

No comments: