Thursday, February 12, 2009

Lincoln's Bicentennial


Today we honor the 200th anniversary of the birth of President Abraham Lincoln, arguably one of the best presidents in American history. Born in Kentucky, raised in Indiana, Lincoln devoted much of his adult life to the service of the state of Illinois. He served as a lawyer, a State Representative, and a United States Representative for Illinois before becoming president in the election of 1860. In a speech that many have found inspiring, one of them being President Obama, he left Illinois for Washington with a bittersweet farewell that has a chilling premonition for his future:

"My friends, no one, not in my situation, can appreciate my
feeling of sadness at this parting. To this place, and the kindness of these people, I owe everything. Here I have lived a quarter of a century, and have passed from a young to an old man. Here my children have been born, and one is buried. I now leave, not knowing when, or whether ever, I may return, with a task before me greater than that which rested upon Washington. Without the assistance of the Divine Being who ever attended him, I cannot succeed. With that assistance I cannot fail. Trusting in Him who can go with me, and remain with you, and be everywhere for good, let us confidently hope that all will yet be well. To His care commending you, as I hope in your prayers you will commend me, I bid you an affectionate farewell." Farewell Address at the Great Western Depot in Springfield, Illinois, February 11, 1861.

He carried out his task well. His priority in the Civil War was not to punish or to inflict pain; he did everything within his power to save the Union. The ideologies on either side of the war meant very little to him. He felt there was no reason for the United States to divide itself, and this directed his policies as president during this dark time in our country's history.

On April 14, 1865, just days after General Lee surrendered at Appomattox, President Lincoln became the first president to give his life for the country. Four years after he left, Abraham Lincoln returned to Illinois to be interred in Springfield.

I have a deep respect for Lincoln's courage and leadership. The Civil War divided this country in a seemingly irreconcilable way, but Lincoln's perseverance and willingness to forgive the rebels allowed us to patch our rifts, and we have never separated since. Thanks, Honest Abe.

No comments: