On Sunday, one of my priest friends talked to my class about vocations. His words on the matter really have stuck in my head this week. He didn't necessarily say anything I didn't know; rather, he said it in a way that brought it to the forefront of my mind again. He reminded us that vocation is literally a calling. It's not just to the religious life or the priesthood, either. It's a calling to whatever task God has given you.
What stood out to me, though, is that vocation is not necessarily a calling to a particular job, but rather to a concept. For instance, one's job is not necessarily to be a teacher; it's to enlighten people who do not understand. I think that this view of vocation makes it a lot less scary in the stereotypical "You need to decide what you're going to do for the rest of your life right this minute" style, and turns it into a quest to follow your vocation through whatever career or careers you have in your life. It certainly makes me think...as well as want to know for sure what call I'm being given. All in good time for all of us, I suppose.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment