Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Duc, sequere, aut de via decede

Today was an eventful day. Classes, safety meeting, and then the Rotunda Sing. Congrats to all the a cappella groups--fantastic job!


Thank you to Grace, who sent me this hysterical link (Warning: must have a working knowledge of Shakespeare).

Now I'm going to do something new that I learned from my friend Fr. Bob. It's called Scenes from a Passing Parade (taken from Albert Camus's The Stranger). I'm just going to note a few oddities I saw during my walks around grounds. Here goes:

- A strange man was in the Amphitheatre today. At first, I thought he was a very loud professor, but after passing him three times I realized that he was there on his own. He was preaching the Good News: a jug of water at his feet, and spit, fire, and brimstone coming out of his mouth. My favorite part was when he bashed Confession: "And then Jesus!! Jesus Himself said, 'Go! Go on! Go on and sin no more!' Not 'Go and sin SOME more and come back later!'"

- A girl walked by me with a t-shirt that said "This shirt is green, made from recycled material." On the back, it said "Help save our planet!" She was also smoking a cigarette.

- Today's Latin quote was "Duc, sequere, aut de via decede." This is a latinized version of Jack Welch's quote "Lead, follow, or get out of the way!" I used it as my favorite quote for my eighth grade yearbook. I didn't know that Welch was that old school!

I'll be doing Scenes more often, I think. It could be an amusing addition to this site, which is already based on that concept anyway; these things just don't fall into a full-post category. Take care!

No comments: