Friday, October 17, 2008

Back into the Swing

After a nice, long weekend and a three-day week, it's time to get down to business again. Last weekend was awesome: Cavaliers won 35-20, and I got to spend some time with my favorite people in the world: my family. Since then, there have been a few things of note:

- I spent all of Columbus day writing a paper on the Spanish conquest. If that's not irony, I don't know what is.

-The final debate happened. Only a couple more weeks until November 4...

The Latin Calendar gave me an excuse not to do work. It told me, "Procrastina rem nunc!" (Procrastinate now!)

-The Holy Father canonized four new saints on Sunday:
- St. Alphonsa Muttathupandathu of India. She was a nun, who once said, "I consider a day without suffering a day lost." She is the first-native born Indian to be canonized.
-St. Narcisa de Jesus Martillo Moran of Ecuador. She was a laywoman, but had promised her life secretly to chastity, poverty, obedience, and extreme self mortification.
-St. Gaetano Errico of Italy. He was an Italian priest who founded the Congregation of Missionaries of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary. In Benedict's words, "the street and the confessional were the privileged places of pastoral action for this new saint."
-St. Maria Bernarda Butler of Switzerland. She is the foundress of the Franciscan Missionary Sisters of Mary, Help of Sinners.
May all these new saints be intercessors on our behalf to Christ, and serve as examples of truly faithful lives.

That's all the good news for now. I hope everyone has a great weekend. Go Cavaliers!

No comments: