Friday, October 17, 2008

Better than any lame debate

This was hysterical. The night after the debate, the candidates attended Alfred E. Smith Memorial charity dinner in New York City. Al Smith was a four-term governor of New York, and was the first Catholic in history to run for President, despite all the prejudice against him. This is an event where the candidates roast themselves and each other, and I was able to smile at both of them; they each had some very witty remarks. Here are the youtube clips for your viewing enjoyment:

McCain went first....





followed by Obama....





Each speech is about fifteen minutes long, but I highly recommend taking the time to watch it. Their jabs against each other and against themselves are priceless (some pretty good Bill Clinton jokes from both sides, too). I want to leave you with two parting thoughts: notice that I had to get the clips from two different people, and which news stations they got the speeches off. Also, note which side of H.E. Cardinal Egan each candidate is on. Now why couldn't the debates have been like this, especially if they're not going to talk substance anyway?!

No comments: